How To Write User Stories

 Hey guys! Welcome to this post user stories. This post is basically designed to give you a foundational understanding of what user stories are. 

How you can write them. And then how they can be used to create product using an agile workflow. So it's a two-part series and what we're gonna do in the first part is talk about a definition of what user stories are. 

I'm going to show you how to write them and organize them on the board behind me using post-it notes and a pen and thenin the second part we're gonna take our user stories that we've created and we're gonna create a functional specification for a fictional product using Trello. 

Solet's go ahead and get started and let's start with this simple introduction of what it user story actually is so a user story is a short simple description of a product feature told from the perspective of a person.

that wants that feature and these stories will normally be told from the perspective of a potential user of your product or an existing user of your product or combination of the two and stories are essentially used to define.

what is called the product backlog in an agile development workflow now the product backlog is essentially the collection of user stories that drives the functional specification and the development of features for particular product or service.

so you have a collection of all the user stories and these are what you know that your users require from the product that you're creating and the se stories are used to basically inform and influence what you decide to create for your user so next let's define how you actually write a user story.

now a user story consists of three parts it consists of the first part which is a persona which is essentially the persona of the user that the story is being written for it consists of the feature.

 that the user requires and it consists of the need for that future satisfies so for example atypical format of a user story would be as a (blank) which is the persona I want a(blank) which is the feature so that I can (blank) which is the requirement that that feature satisfies or the need of that future satisfies

so let's take a look at how an example use a story might look and as an example we're gonna take Airbnb which is a product I'm sure you all know and we're gonna think about how a typical user story might look for something like air Air BnB so a typical user story for something like this might be as a user

I want to search for a destination so I can book accommodation in a foreign city so there's three components so it's the user the search and the need that's satisfied which is being able to book ac comodation in a foreign city.

Before we jump into some user stories the other thing I wanna do is talk to you about the concept of an epic now you may have heard this term before you may not but an epic is essentially.

a very very big user story and that's why it's called an epic because it's big and an epic is essentially one big user story that could potentially have many many other multiple user stories coming from it.

so if we take the example of Airbnb again an epic for Airbnb maybe I want to find holiday destinations and travel abroad well that's very very big and that's difficult to define just from

 that one story so in order to actually effectively define a feature set based on that user story you'd have to break it down into multiple smaller stories now we're actually going to do that 

now so we're going to jump into creating some user stories for ourselves we're gonna take Airbnb as an example and we're gonna do is going to write freee pics okay so three epics remember epics and big stories are gonna write three big user stories okay so what I'm going to do

I'm gonna say Airbnb story's going to create three epics alright so these are at big stories that we want to break down into small chunks and our first is I've gotto read these stories because I already have them written down as a user I want to be able to discover.

new and interesting destinations interesting destinations right it's my first epic the second epic is as a user I want to book accommodation in a foreign city. 

accomodation in a foreign city. That's epic 2that's just one two, three. Third one: as a user I want to easily be helped to create an experience in a foreign city so onAirbnb.

we have the concept of booking accommodation visiting new cities but weal so have the something they introduced quite recently which is the concept ofbe able to find and book experiences in foreign cities as a user I want to find a new experience.

So as you see here we've got threee pics and they're basically free very very big user stories so what I want todo now is take those epics and break them down into smaller stories that we can then use to define product backlog and our functional specification for the various features of the product

that we want to create so we're going to take a look at these and I'm gonna think ok these are very big how we break them down into smaller stories what might those stories be and I've already done that I've got a few that I thought about before.

I made this video so let's have a look at those so let's have a look at this first one it's choosing different coloreds new keynotes ok and so let's break this down even further so number one as it usually I want to discover new and interesting destinations so if you break that down even more where you can say as a user.

I want to be recommended destinations based on my interests as user I want to be recommended destinations based on interest alright let's break that down again we can create another story there as a user I want to be better recommended destinations based on my current location so maybe I want to find places then a near me that I want to visit or if I'm in a particular country 

I might want to visit other cities within that country and I'm sure they miss a little bit sowe can you know move through it quite quickly we recommended based on location. 

Al rightlet's have a think about this one this is big as a user I wanna book accommodation in a foreign city. Well there's a couple of other stories we can take from that to break it down into smaller pieces the first is as they user. 

I want to search for a destination I already know so I can make a booking so you might want to revisit a city that you've already been to and you know that you want to visit that city but you just need to find accommodations. 

As a user I want to be able to search for a destination sorry already said that one. As a user I want to be able to explore a map to find a new destination so I can make a booking.

so this is the concept of explorations you might not know where you want to go you might want to explore a map you might want to find new places you can go and then once you've found those places then you want to book accommodation locations all right last one as a user I wanna find in your experience big story let's break down.

it more as a user I want to be able to re commend it certainly as a user I want to be recommended experience based on my interests since the concept of finding an experience if we break it down even further that people could be recommended experiences based on their interests recommended Thanks.

interest rest cool last one as a user I want to be able to browse activities so I can create a new experience drop my post-it notes so you know there might be a lot of different activities that I could consider and the experience is based on those activities

 if I don't know what those activities are I might want to browse and explore and find new ones and then be recommended an experience based on that so for example cocktail making right as a user to browse cool so that's pretty much it .

so let's just have a quick recap of what we've done we've talked about what it user story is I've given you a definition of the three key components that make up a user story and inform how you write a user story and then.

we look to X and how to list out epics and then create smaller user stories based on those epics so I hope you found that useful if you've got any questions or any comments leave them on.

the comments below the video and in the next part what we're gonna do is take these and I'll probably write out a few more and we're gonna put them into Trello and we're going to look at how we can use our user stories to create a functional requirements for a product and to create a product backlog as well alright see you next time 

Post a Comment

0 Comments